de en

Hier kommt das User Feedback

Phone E-Mail Info
Traditions and History

Traditions and History

Traditions and History

The origins of the town go back to the twelfth century. After a church had been built Bezau was an independent parish in 1497. A capuchin monastery was founded in 1656 and was very important for Bezau´s development. Bezau has been place of trial since 1806. The first post office was opened in 1850. The construction of the railroad in the Bregenzerwald was finished in 1902. Bezau was the final destination. The narrow-gauge railway was reopened in 1988 and has been very successful since then. In the 1970s the centre was redesigned. There has been no transit traffic since the 1980s which has a positive impact on the tourism. Bezau is famous for the preservation of old buildings. There are many well-preserved old farmhouses in Bezau and Schönebach.

Coat of arms of Bezau

The crest shows a red shield and an uprooted fir tree.

Territorial sovereignty and jurisdiction

Since the late 14th century the residents of the Bregenzerwald practiced legislation, jurisdiction and administration relatively independently.

The parish Church of Bezau

The church of Bezau got the status of a parish church in 1497. In 1771 the church tower was renovated and the building enlarged. The current church was built by Albert Rimli und Seraphim Pümpel in 1907/08.


Impressive buildings

  • Parish Church, built in 1907-1908, neo-baroque style
  • Memorial chapel for Soldiers (Kaspar Albrecht, 1924)
  • Baroque chapel Ellenbogen 18th century
  • former Capuchin Monastery (Leopold Kaufmann; 1979-1980)

Famous personalities

  • Peter Thumb, famous Baroque master builder
    (church buildings in Birnau, St. Gallen u. a.), 1681-1766
  • Johann Kaspar von Ratz, president of the court and politician, 1786-1860
  • Jodok Stülz, historian and prelate of St. Florian, 1799-1872
Three bandmasters are better than one!

Three bandmasters are better than one!

read more