Things to Know
Safety Tips for Off-Piste Skiing
- Please note that you are skiing at your own risk!
- Off-piste skiing is fun when you master the technique.
- The Bregenzerwald ski schools offer courses to this end.
- It is essential to carefully plan a skiing tour. Base your planning on maps, and make sure you listen to the avalanche warning service and the weather report.
- The correct equipment and clothing are essential safety factors.
- Anyone skiing off piste needs avalanche equipment (avalanche search equipment, probe, avalanche shovel, First Aid kit) and also needs to know how to use such equipment! Courses:www.saac.at
- Never set off too late. In winter, it starts getting dark at 4.30 p.m.
- Never set off if it is snowing/foggy.
- The skiing and mountain guides are familiar with the place and terrain and ensure that you safely reach your destination – and back home.
Emergency Telephone numbers -> free of charge
- 112 European Emergency Number
- 140 Alpine Emergencies, Austria
Vorarlberg Avalanche Warning Service
Free use of the avalanche alarm service via fax, e-mail or the Internet:
Respect Your Boundaries
However, anyone out and about enjoying the countryside needs to keep in mind that it is also a very sensitive habitat for plants and animals which is worth protecting. Please don’t take any short-cuts through forest paths, since they are often used by wild game as a refuge. Moreover, the edges of skis and snowboards can easily damage the young forest. Observe the no-go hunting areas and, if necessary, choose a different tour destination. It is with this in mind that we also appeal to you to respect preservation and conservation areas and to observe any restrictions.