Traditions and History
The origins of the town go back to the twelfth century. After a church had been built Bezau was an independent parish in 1497. A capuchin monastery was founded in 1656 and was very important for Bezau´s development. Bezau has been place of trial since 1806. The first post office was opened in 1850. The construction of the railroad in the Bregenzerwald was finished in 1902. Bezau was the final destination. The narrow-gauge railway was reopened in 1988 and has been very successful since then. In the 1970s the centre was redesigned. There has been no transit traffic since the 1980s which has a positive impact on the tourism.
Bezau is famous for the preservation of old buildings. There are many well-preserved old farmhouses in Bezau and Schönebach.
Coat of arms of Bezau
The crest shows a red shield and an uprooted fir tree.
Territorial sovereignty and jurisdiction
The parish Church of Bezau
- Parish Church, built in 1907-1908, neo-baroque style
- Memorial chapel for Soldiers (Kaspar Albrecht, 1924)
- Baroque chapel Ellenbogen 18th century
- former Capuchin Monastery (Leopold Kaufmann; 1979-1980)
- Peter Thumb, famous Baroque master builder
(church buildings in Birnau, St. Gallen u. a.), 1681-1766
- Johann Kaspar von Ratz, president of the court and politician, 1786-1860
- Jodok Stülz, historian and prelate of St. Florian, 1799-1872